Monday, May 10, 2010

In Memoriam

I look for you in the shadows, behind doors
at night, hoping I'll believe in ghosts.
I listen in between squealing tyres,
the street dance nearby; call my name, please.

Blue-gray eyes, toothless smile on a piece of paper,
my fingers tire from stroking gloss. You promised
me I would be loved. But you let go. They all left.
And now I have become you, granny.

Waiting, waiting, on catastrophe. That is all
we know. Our limbs go, our men leave,
we drain the ones left. We sit chained to safety seats.

In my dream last night, you called me beautiful and said,
" Do these two things: hold on to my love, it is eternal;
then find your home, where you will be happy.There, I wait."

2 comments:

Paul Bernard said...

Hello J-Rae, I just read your comment on my old blog.
Lovely to hear from you. I'm sorry I haven't written before now. I do stop by occasionally to see how you are. But it seems I surf the blogs less and less these days.
I can see from this piece of poetry that you still got it going on! I really do think you are a talented poet. Have you had any success with your writing? I remember you had some great competition pieces.
I've mostly been playing and writing music recently. I haven't got much good equipment here but I like to do a little home recording. Playing once a week with a band is great fun too.
I keep saying I'll get back to writing some stories but I don't often do it. I write all day as my job (newspapers) so feel less inclined in the evenings...
But anyway, I will stop by and post comments more often. Promise.

Jaquanda Rae said...

what a gem of a note :)