Friday, December 5, 2008

"My Brand Is A Promise I Know I Can Deliver Because I Understand Myself" - TD Jakes

So, I neither won nor placed in the competition. At first, I was rather disappointed and stumped.

But when I got home, I noticed a quote from a book I'm currently reading by a prominent American pastor, TD Jakes (see blog entry title). It made me feel better. A lot of persons who read my poems are not sure what I mean in my poems. This is not a bad thing to me. It just means that my poems have layers. That is a part of my brand. And I am proud of that part. I embrace my brand and I wish the winners of the competition all the best.

Not Out Jaquanda....cleaaaaaaarrrrrr.

6 comments:

Sucharita Sarkar said...

I think it is very brave of you to confront your disappointment like you did. I, too, had sent in a poem on crime to a poetry collection, where, after much dilly-dallying, they let it "pass". I've been brooding over the rejection slip for quite a while, but now I won't any more.

Thanks for cheering me up. You're a gem.

Grégoire said...

A lot of persons who read my poems are not sure what I mean in my poems.

I don't think this is a bad thing. All the best poems leave a bit of the interpretation to the reader, and in doing so they allow him to imprint a bit of his own personal experience into the text.

jyotsana said...

thats so right jaquanda....and this is also true that some celebrated writers as we know them today hve had their fresh creative writings rejected bcoz there was noone to understand them ... peoplw were walking on the same ole known paths.

Jagjit said...

Yeah, you r rite. agree completely. havent read ur poems, but look forward to. first time here. cheers

Anonymous said...

Well said sis. Keep doing your thing.

The most important thing for me when I write is that it heals, refreshes restores, or whatever emotion I intended to exhorsise out of me into what I've written. How people interpret it is their prob.

Jaquanda Rae said...

I am looking at these comments for the first time in a long while. Thank you all so much, I'm so glad I have friends who know how to help me to believe in myself and fight the good fight. We can do it!